Writer’s Series: A Pro’s Guide to Screenplay StructureOnline 10% off - No Minimum - Use Code: ISA10WS
Class Begins: 01/13/2015 Ends: 01/27/2015
Class Time: 1:00 pm - echo date("g:i a", strtotime($class['class_end_time'])); ?> (PST)
- Receive in-depth guidance into the creation of the three individual acts of a screenplay. Each separate webinar is conceived to give you a complete understanding of what makes up of the beginning, the middle and the end of your story.
- Gain an understanding of the most popular models of story structure, including Blake Snyder, Syd Fields and Joseph Campbell, among others and what they all have in common.
- Learn how to go beyond the formula to gain insights into what story structure is really there to accomplish – creating great characters and their emotional growth.
ABOUT THE WEBINAR:
These three unique webinars will lay out precisely what goes into each separate act of your screenplay. Knowing these basic road signs of a great story, we will go beyond the formula and get a more organic understanding into the underlying essence of what truly makes great screenplays—and what story structure is really there to accomplish—creating complex characters who are are forced to grow and change because of the plot points of your script.
A Strong Beginning: Write an Enchanting Act One (January 13, 2015 at 1 pm PT):
The beginning of a screenplay puts an intense amount of pressure on the writer. You need to capture your audience's attention, establish your characters, and set the stage for the rest of the screenplay to unfold—all in a few short pages.
This webinar will cover what every writer needs to know about building the first act.
Writing a Strong Middle: Conquering Act Two (January 20, 2015 at 1 pm PT):
This is the tough one. The first act is all fun and games, but this is where the real work of a screenwriter begins. This webinar will cover what your second act needs in order for the reader to keep on reading!
This webinar gives screenwriters the tools they need to not only finish act two but to amp up the stakes so that your readers can't turn away.
Establishing a Strong Ending: Satisfying the Audience in Act Three (January 27, 2015 at 1 pm PT):
The ending is what the auidence remembers. It is what they read the entire script to see. How do you make a satisifying and memorable ending? This webinar will cover what your third act needs to have in order to be successful.
Also, this webinar will look forward to planning rewrites after your finish your screenplay.
Many examples from successful movies will be given to illustrate the basic elements of story structure: including the grabber, the inciting incident, plot points and many others. Valuable insights from the most influential teachers will be utilized to give a broad understanding of what can make your story unique and successful. Also, you will receive an easy to use diagram of how to outline your story so that you can build your screenplay on a rock solid structure.
The webinar will be taught by Glenn M. Benst, award winning screenwriter and one of Los Angeles' most popular and successful instructors of screenwriting workshops.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
- How to create an outline without getting lost in the details
- Using broad stroke story beats rather than individual scenes when devising your outline
- What the similarities are to all the theories about story structure and what we can learn from each of them
- Going beyond the completion of your third act—how to devise successful rewrites
- Why story structure is there at all—the real essence of a great story—forcing your characters to change.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
- Writers who want to learn the vocabulary of story structure and what each term actually means
- Writers who have trouble with their outlines
- Writers who want a clear roadmap to story structure
- Writers who haven't been taught the connection between story and character
- Writers who want to break the mold of formulaic writing
- Writers who want an audience to connect emotionally with their stories.
Participate Live or Watch Later
This webinar includes both access to the live webinar where you may interact with the presenter and the recorded, on-demand edition for your video library. Each registration comes with access to the archived version of the program and the materials for one year. You do not have to attend the live event to get a recording of the presentation. In all webinars, no question goes unanswered. Attendees have the ability to chat with the instructor during the live event and ask questions. You will receive a copy of the webinar presentation in an e-mail that goes out one week after the live event. The answers to questions not covered in the live presentation will be included in this e-mail as well.
BONUS: With purchase of this webinar, you will receive $79.99 off of a yearly subscription to the Screenwriting Tutorials website, which has specialized tutorials from experts that explore screenwriting topics covered nowhere else on the web!
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: This webinar will be broadcast using GoToWebinar. To see if your system is compatible with GoToWebinar, please review this page, which lists the system requirements for the software.
Date available: 11/14/2014
Publication date: 11/14/2014
Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Meet the Author: Glenn M. Benest
Glenn M. Benest is an award-winning writing producer with seven produced screenplays, including two that were directed by Wes Craven. His independent film, HUNGRY HEARTS, was nominated for numerous awards at film festivals throughout the country and is being distributed internationally by Shoreline Entertainment. Mr. Benest is a celebrated lecturer and instructor and his professional screenwriting workshops have launched six feature films, including SCREAM and EVENT HORIZON.
Please note: If you purchase any webinar, you will get a recorded version of the webinar sent to you after the presentation day. So if you can't attend live, you will still get all the materials.
Choose the “Entire Series” option to get all three webinars together for the price of two! That is $79.99 off.