Sequencing: A Writer's Secret WeaponSeminar - Los Angeles
Class Begins: 01/23/2016 Ends: 01/23/2016
Class Time: 2:00 pm - echo date("g:i a", strtotime($class['class_end_time'])); ?> (PST)
Nearly every screenwriter suffers from angst while striving to create their rough outline or even worse, their step outline! I recommend SEQUENCING instead, a masterful technique of drafting out your story! By utilizing this story-building technique, writers will improve their craft significantly by IDENTIFYING story problems, holes, rabbit trails, etc. before ever going to script. Tricky writing situations? Kimberly will address them in this class!!
YOU WILL LEARN:
• HOW OUTLINES and STEP OUTLINES DIFFER from each other
• WHAT OUTLINES and STEP OUTLINES have IN COMMON with SEQUENCING
• THE FOUR COMPONENTS OF A SEQUENCE and WHY each COMPONENT is important
• HOW SEQUENCES FIT INTO THE 3, 4, OR 5 ACT STRUCTURE
• THE SKILL OF BREAKING DOWN A SEQUENCE
• THE SKILL OF BUILDING A SEQUENCE FROM SCRATCH
• HOW TO TRANSFORM your SEQUENCED STORY to a SCRIPTED STORY
• PLUS Q&A
BY THE END OF THE CLASS YOU WILL KNOW:
• How various outlining techniques differ from each other (pros & Cons)
• When to start sequencing your script
• How to deconstruct an existing script to identify existing sequences & how you can add or improve upon them
• How Sequencing fits into ACT Structure
• How to sequence your story and SO MUCH MORE!
PLEASE BRING WITH YOU:
• Something to take extensive notes (hand-outs will also be given)
• A pack of INDEX CARDS (very important!)
• OPTIONAL: You may bring with you an existing short or feature screenplay, Synopsis, outline, step-outline that YOU have written (and also own the copyright) ON A FLASH DRIVE for work in class, time permitting. (Note: Instructor will NOT be reading your screenplays. All flash drives will be returned to writers during or at the end of class.)
KIMBERLY SEILHAMER is a produced, award-winning feature film writer, director and producer and television content creator. She is a member of the WGA IWC. She is a member of the WGA IWC. Kimberly is an accomplished screenwriter with three produced features. She is probably best known for her film award-winning film, JACK THE REAPER, which she wrote and directed. It "reaped" BEST HORROR/SCIFI at the Cannes Independent Film Festival in 2011 and can be seen on SciFi, Showtime, Chiller, Netflix and nationally distributed via REDBOX. She is well-versed in various genres, especially thriller and horror and is a technical guru when it comes to screenplay format. Kimberly also has several television shows (both scripted and unscripted) in development, is currently in negotiations to option three of her television projects. She helms Kilo Entertainment, which produces mainstream genre films and scripted/unscripted television. Kimberly is also a Marine Corps Veteran and webauthor of THE BRASS BRAD website, which launched in 1999. Kimberly has mentored many writers over the years and enjoys helping others in both her personal and professional life.